We sit down with Italian DJ & producer Vito Natoli so celebrate his latest EP âEmotionsâ on historic UK label Hooj Choons. We discuss his inspirations, the evolution of his sound, equipment, and moreâ¦
01. Hi Vito! Great to have you here. How has your year been so far?
Hi guys. First of all, thank you for having me for this interview. Itâs definitely been a positive year, full of experiences, musically speaking.
02. Why and when did you start in music? How has your sound evolved since then?
I started looking into the music world at an early age. I used to play alone at home for fun, then I realised that for me it was a real passion. Since then, music has never left my life and itâs been a constant in it.
03. When it comes to DJing â are you someone who likes to get people in a trance, or who likes a sense of fun in their sets, or who likes to shock?
04. And where is your best environment? A small dark club or a huge outdoor festival stage? Late at night for the weirdos or early so you can play slow and eclectic?
05. Tell us about your new tunes on Hooj, what inspired it?
The sounds were chosen based on what I heard in the clubs and what I like. I looked for similar sounds that struck me, put them together and I developed my EP.
06. How did you come to release on the classic UK label?
I sent an e-mail to Jerry because I thought he might like my material. I had a desire to start my artistic journey with a respected or historic label, and listening to the new stuff Hooj was releasing, I thought my music was in line. And thatâs how it all started. It was a great pleasure to work with Jerry and the whole process going back and forth with him was very stimulating.
07. How did getting Mark Hawkins on the remix come about?
When we decided with Jerry to work on a second EP, he asked me what I thought if we added a remix of a track from my previous EP (âGalactic Chordsâ) and you can imagine my answer. For me it would have been a great pleasure, first of all to have someone willing and pleased to remix a track of yours, and secondly the remix could have given an extra push to my EP (and also to my career). Imagine for a newcomer what this means.
So, Jerry sent me proposals of remixers and then my choice fell on Mark. Mark is a great artist. Heâs been in the scene for over 20 years, is a veteran of nineties DIY parties, and all his releases (including those on AUS, Houndstooth, UTTU and Len Fakiâs Juxta Position) are pure dynamite.
What he did adding a fat, crafted, mid-tempo whomp to the proceedings, and those irresistible stabs and explosive breakdown, is pure class. Really happy with the result and to have him on board.
08. And when making music, what are your aims, what sounds are you most fond of? What is the aim of your tunes?
My goal when I produce music is to put my own into the choice of sounds. Chords must never be missing in my productions. When I create and select, I would like to convey my emotion to my listeners.
09. What gear do you use and how important is that to forming your sound?
Basically, I use my laptop and the VSTs/plug-ins for a good percentage of my tracks. I donât think I need too much stuff. With that Iâm able to work everywhere and anywhere. I can easily put down an idea that pops up to my mind in a minute, without having to get to my studio to put my hands on my gears. So far I feel comfortable with this setup.
10. What is the most important thing to get right for you on any production?
11. What was the last tune/record you bought and why?
The last tune I bought is Jamie Jonesâ âLose My Mindâ. I really love it and it gives the real summer feel. Easily my summerâs soundtrack, for sure.
12. What track never leaves your bag?
I am fond of Pawsaâs âRoom Serviceâ and Michael Bibiâs âGot The Fireâ.
13. What was the first club you partied in?
Masseria del Turco (Monopoli â Puglia)
14. What was the last club you played in?
Mandarino Club (Puglia)
15. What can we look forward to next from Vito Natoli?
For my future I have clear ideas. I would like to continue this path and above all grow in the world of music because it is what I like to do in my life.